1. Care is the School’s cardinal virtue, for the other core values – respect, responsibility, honesty, integrity, service – spring from appropriate care for oneself, for others, for the school community, for the communities beyond the School. The St. John’s School community is sustained by caring relationships in which members extend themselves for others, with compassion, courtesy, kindness, and respect.
2. Honesty is expected of every student under all circumstances. A student’s work is expected to be his or her own, unless a particular assignment has been designated as a cooperative project. Students are expected to tell the truth, to respect the property of others, and to honor all their commitments.
3. Courtesy and Consideration are expected. Students are to behave well, to use appropriate manners in all situations, and to respect the feelings of others. Students in grades 4 and 5 will rise when an adult enters the room and remain standing until told to be seated. They need not stand during a test or while in study hall. Students are expected to use “please” and “thank you”.
4. Loyalty and Spirited Devotion are fundamental to a successful school. Pride, enthusiasm, fair play, and hard work are recognized as essential ingredients of loyalty. Therefore, the School encourages all students to participate in and /or attend sports events and other extra curricular functions to show their support for the School, their friends, and classmates.
5. Dignity and Good Taste characterize the attitude, language, dress, and behavior of all members of the community