1. Care is the School’s cardinal virtue. All other precepts and principles spring from appropriate care for oneself, for others, for the wider community. St. John’s School is sustained by caring relationships in which members extend themselves for others with compassion, kindness, and respect.
2. Honesty and integrity are expected of every community member under all circumstances. Community members are expected to tell the truth, to respect the property of others, and to honor all their commitments.
3. Courtesy and consideration characterize the attitude, language, dress, and behavior of all members of the community. Dignity and decorum are expected. Community members are to behave well, to use appropriate manners in all situations, and to respect the feelings of others.
4. Loyalty and spirited devotion are fundamental to St. John’s School. Pride, enthusiasm, fair play, and hard work are recognized as essential ingredients of loyalty. Therefore, the School encourages all students to participate avidly in community life within and beyond the classroom—to show their support for St. John’s programs and classmates.
5. St. John’s is a community of gratitude. All members are beneficiaries of gifts spanning generations—time, treasure, and talent. The School challenges them to give back in kind, to serve others with selflessness and generosity.