St. John’s School seeks students who possess strong ability, enthusiasm for learning, and strength of character to thrive in an academically challenging college preparatory program. It is important to note that there is no formula for gaining admission to St. John’s. The School charges the Admission Committee to select bright, motivated students who will throw themselves wholeheartedly into the life of the School in a variety of areas including the arts, athletics, leadership, and service. While the School does acknowledge demonstrated academic achievement, it is equally important to admit students who are committed to investing in the life of the School.
At the heart of the admission process, above all else, is a commitment to make decisions that are sensitive to children’s best interests and ensure an appropriate match between the School and a student. To that end, the Committee carefully considers students’ readiness for our program. Various assessments, such as testing, observations, academic records, interviews, and recommendations from teachers, are used to provide information in the evaluation of admission candidates. In addition to academic readiness, social and behavioral maturity, motivation, and special talents in the arts and/or athletics are also considered. The composition of a given grade and the School as a whole influences the decisions of individual student selection throughout the entire admission process. Other criteria considered:
- Affiliation with the School -- consideration for available space is given to qualified children of alumni, siblings of current students or graduates, and children of current faculty and staff who fit within the range of students best served by St. John’s
- Gender and diversity in race, ethnicity, religion, and socio-economic background
- Good character and leadership potential
- Exceptional talents in the arts/and athletics
- Appropriateness of match between family and the School - including a parental commitment to establish a supportive and constructive partnership with the St. John’s community
In all cases, the School retains the right to determine, at its sole discretion, whether or not to select a student for admission or to re-enroll a student. Admission decisions are made under the overall supervision of the Head of School.